The following is an overview of human rights violations in Iran on January 9th, 2019 based on the information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) Matlab Ahmadian, a prisoner suffering from Orchitis (inflammation of testicles) and bladder infection, has been denied medical care for eight years. He was charged with ‘cooperation with an opposition Kurdish group’ and sentenced to 30 years imprisonment in exile.
(2) Narges Mohammadi wrote a letter from prison to district attorney protesting the denial of her right to have a phone conversation with her children. She was sentenced to 16 years imprisonment on the charge of ‘acting against the national security and propaganda against the state’.
(3) Liza Tebyanian was exonerated in the appeal court. The appeal court denied accusations and added that according to the law promoting the Baha’i faith would not consider ‘propaganda against the state’.
(4) Abdolrazagh Rasoulpour and Hojat Razmjou, prisoners of Urmia prison, were beaten by intelligence officers yesterday. They were accused of ‘cooperation with Kurdish opposition groups’ and sentenced to five years imprisonment each.
(5) Namegh Deldel, a Sunni prisoner of conscience who was detained in Karaj’s Rajai Shahr Prison has been transferred to detention center in intelligence agency of Sanandaj for an unknown reason. He is serving his sentence of six years imprisonment being accused of national security related charges.
(6) Kianoush Salatini, a political prisoner, was sentenced to 19 and a half years in prison on blasphemy related charges in connection with his social media activities.
(7) and added that she is willing to testify that in court. She called it “systematic violence against prisoners by security forces”.
(8) Nasrollah Lashani began his hunger strike on January 6 to protest being banned from having visitors. He is a Nationalist-Religious Activist who was accused of ‘propaganda against the state’ and sentenced to six years in prison.
(9) Ali Ghamsari, a musician, was banned from working and the rest of his concerts have been canceled because of featuring a female vocalist, Haleh Seyfizadeh in his concert. Women are prohibited from singing or playing musical instruments solo in Iran.
(10) A worker, Ali Jahantigh, was electrocuted to death in his workplace in Mehriz because of negligence in the oversight of safety conditions. Mehriz county is located in Yazd province.
(11) Mohammad Mahdavifar, a civil rights activist, who is serving his sentence of two years in prison, was sentenced to five years imprisonment and four years exile for his new blasphemy related charges.
(12) An open letter has been written by 20 lawyers to president Hassan Rouhani, about Loghman Vahid and other victims of landmine explosion. Vahid is a Kulbar who lost an eye and a leg due to landmine explosion and was sentenced to pay a fine.
(13) A Baha’i citizen, Moein Mohammadi, was arrested by the security forces for an unknown reason in Yazd. Moreover, Amir Hossein Mohammadifar and Sanaz Allahyari were arrested by the security forces and have been transferred to an unknown place. Also, Soroush Agahi and Neda Shabani are Baha’i citizens who have been arrested on November 30 in Karaj and were transferred to an unknown location. Their whereabouts are still unknown after 40 days.
(14) A prisoner who was accused of murder, was saved from execution after 11 years in prison in Yasuj. Another prisoner charged with murder was saved from gallows by victim’s family’s consent in Karaj.
(15) At least Miandoab is in the West Azerbaijan province.