A Daily Overview of Human Rights Violations in Iran for December 27, 2018
The following is an overview of human rights violations in Iran on December 27th, 2018 based on the information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) A stepfather in Qom was jailed over a child’s death. A child died after being transferred to a hospital to care for his severe injuries. His stepfather was accused of physically abusing the child.
(2) Ten workers of Iran National Steel Industrial Group were released on bail. At least 15 more are still in prison.
(3) A prisoner in Zahedan prison had been stripped naked, tied up to a metal fence, and beaten after an argument with the prison deputy. Alireza Mohammadi is accused of robbery and was sentenced to six years imprisonment. In addition, A prisoner, Omran Mirakzehi, was beaten in Saravan prison and had been transferred to quarantine.
(4) Salahedin Ranjbar, a cyber activist, who has been previously sentenced to one year in prison, was arrested and transferred to Supermax ward for violent inmates of Urmia prison to serve his sentence on December 23.
(5) In a lawsuit filed by Kavous Seyed Emami’s family, against the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting regarding a program aired which falsely portrayed him. His family also requested to lift the travel ban on Seyed-Emami ‘s spouse.
(6) Three protests have been held across the country. Educators and retired teachers protested in Isfahan and Urmia. Police fired tear gas at protestors and several of them have been arrested. Moreover, farmers in Isfahan protested and requested fulfilment of their demands.
(7) A prisoner who was accused of murder was saved from death with forgiveness and consent of the next of kin, after spending five years in the Dezful prison.
(8) More than 78 workers of Kavosh Pressure Vessels Manufacturer were laid off. Although they still have unpaid wages, their names have been sent to get unemployment benefits.
(9) A worker has been injured in a water well in Karaj because of unsafe working conditions.
(10) Mine explosion wounds a Shepherd in Salehabad district in Mehran County, Ilam Province. Land mines are remnants from Iran-Iraq war.
(11) Family and friends of Shahram Farajzadeh Tarani have been prevented from marking the anniversary of his death. The video of his death drew worldwide attention after he was ran over by a police vehicle during the 2009 Iranian election protests.