A Daily Overview of Human Rights Violations in Iran for December 31, 2018
The following is an overview of human rights violations in Iran on December 31th, 2018 based on the information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) Three protests were organized across the country. Isfahan farmers and employees of the Vahdat Ahvaz financial institute held separate protests. In Tehran, university students accompanied by people protested in Enghelab street regarding the bus rollover incident in the Islamic Azad University in Tehran on December 25 in which at least ten were killed and 28 were injured.
(2) Zaman Rezaei, a 62-year old prisoner was executed in Urmia prison. Changiz Irani and Pezhman Piri who were transferred to solitary confinements in preparation for their execution earlier, were saved from gallows temporary.
(3) The technician workers of Bafq – Bandar Abbas railway, and the workers of Karoon Cement Company, have four months unpaid wages.
(4) A ranger was injured in the fight with poachers in Mehdishahr county in Semnan province.
(5) Security forces arrested six people in Sanandaj, Paveh, Urmia, and Kamyaran. Mohammad Rezaei, Baset Mohammadi, Behzad and Siamand Shahsavar, Shirkoo Jamshidi, and Peyman Mohammadi have been arrested in the last few days.
(6) 28 people have died and 299 were injured due to work-related accidents in Hamadan in the last eight months. That was a 21 percent increase from the same period in 2017.
(7) Four Azerbaijani Turkic minority rights activists were arrested in Sarab county in East Azerbaijan province. They have been identified as Sahand Maali, Vahid Nourahmadi, Heydar Mazini, and Mohammad Ranjbari. Another Turkic activist, Abbas Lesani, was sentenced to 10 months imprisonment. He is accused of ‘propaganda against the state’.
(8) The head of guards of the Department of Environment has reported that 87 poachers and 590 illegal loggers were arrested in four provinces.
(9) There have been 870 child marriages and 16 divorces registered for girls under 15 years of age in the North Khorasan province in the last nine months.
(10) Two workplace incidents happened which caused one death and one injured worker. A mine guard had a fatal fall in Zarandieh county in Markazi province. Another worker in Mashhad died in a workplace fire.
(11) A 19-year-old citizen lost his leg in a landmine explosion incident in Dehloran County in Ilam Province. Yesterday, another citizen was severely injured in a landmine explosion in Dehloran.