The following is an overview of human rights violations in Iran on January 12th, 2019 based on the information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) Seyed Hassan Agha Miri, an Iranian cleric, was sentenced to defrocking and two years of suspended imprisonment because of his interviews and speeches in the governmental media.
(2) Reza Malek, a political prisoner in the Evin prison, has been denied medical care for his severe backache. He was sentenced to five years imprisonment for ‘disrupting the public mind’,’insulting the Supreme Leader’,and ‘propaganda against the state’.
(3) Three Kulbars (Kurdish back carriers) have been shot by the border patrol in Urmia and Baneh. Aghil Ebrahimi, Hassan Rasouli, and Hedayat Mohammadi were injured in this incident.
(4) In the past couple of days, a resident of Kamyaran and two residents of Oshnavieh who were arrested earlier, were released on bail. Two other residents of Sarvabad county and one resident of Sanandaj were arrested.
(5) An Azerbaijani minority rights activist, Ali Gholami, was summoned to the Revolutionary Court in Ardabil. He is a writer and poet who was arrested in the International Mother Language Day protest in 2018.
(6) In the past three years, 20 nurses have died because of overwork. Last week, a 24-year-old nurse died due to working long hours in the Fars province. Shortage of nurses in Iran impacts patient care and nurses’ health.
(7) The attorney of Kiyumars Marzban, author and satirist, confirmed that his case was sent to the Branch 15 of the Revolutionary Court. He was arrested on August 26th. His charges are ‘propaganda against the state’ and ‘sulting the sacred’.
(8) Ahmad Taghavi, a retired teacher and a union activist, was released on bail today. He was arrested on December 24 for an unknown reason.
(9) A chemistry professor, Mehrorang Ghaedi, was exonerated of charges in Yasuj. The judge added that criticizing Iranian authorities would not be considered as ‘propaganda against the state’.
(10) Masoud Shamsnejad, a lawyer and professor, was arrested and has been transferred to the Intelligence Office while the security guards raided his home and confiscated his belongings. He was under pressure for the cases he accepted to defend.
(11) Masoud Kurdpour is a civil right activist who had been a teacher for 22 years and was laid off for his activism-related charges in 2009. He was exonerated by the appeal court but he is still banned from his profession. He has requested the president to help in his case.
(12) In a bus rollover in Gilan, 14 industrial workers were injured. Also, four workers died or were injured in Yazd, Tehran, and Zanjan because of negligence in the oversight of safety conditions.
(13) The workers of Haft Tappeh Sugarcane Mill, Mas Home Appliance, and bankrupt Rasht Parsan Company have at least two months of unpaid wages.
(14) Mostafa Daneshjou, the detained lawyer of the Gonabadi Dervishes, was denied medical care for his severe heart disease. He was sentenced to eight years in prison on December 16, 2018.
(15) The prosecutor of Fardis published a video of a man was saved from execution and wrote ” Telegram saved him from gallows.” He was accused of murder and a fundraising in cyberspace helped him pay the blood money to the victim’s family.
(16) A biographical film of Faezeh Hashemi Rafsanjani was banned due to her ongoing judicial case.