A Daily Overview of Human Rights Violations in Iran for January 17, 2019
The following is an overview of human rights violations in Iran on January 17th, 2019 based on the information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) More than three protests were held across the country. The workers of inter-city rail in Ahvaz, several teachers in Yazd, and the workers of the maintenance contractor in oil, gas, petrochemical, refineries, water and energy (RAMPCO Group) in Assaluyeh, have organized separate protests.
(2) Four people have been summoned and one was arrested in Sonqor in Kermanshah province. Borzou Naderi, Ehsan Darabi, Fahim Naseri, Kiumars Vaezi, and Zahra Asadi have been summoned. Moreover, Darabi was arrested and transferred to the Intelligence Detention Center.
(3) A detained Lebanese citizen, Nazar Zaka, who was held in solitary confinement for 11 days, has been transferred from Evin prison to Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Detention Center. He was sentenced to 10 years and paying 200 thousand dollars fine on espionage-related charges.
(4) A day after Iranian ambassador to the UK meeting with the UK media regarding Nazanin Zaghari Ratcliffe’s case, the UK Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, repeated his request for her release.
(5) Five Kulbars have been shot by border patrol in Khoy, Sardasht, Urmia, and Chaldoran in West Azerbaijan province. Afshin Alipour, Abdollah Yousefi, Ehsan Khaledi, Naser Omari were killed or injured. Also, Amir Taheri, another Kulbar, died from hypothermia.
(6) Hamid and Mohammad Parvazeh who were arrested by the Intelligence agents in Sanandaj, were transferred to Marivan prison. They were charged with “cooperation with a Kurdish opposition group”. They were not given access to lawyers.
(7) Prison authorities will transfer Nazanin Zaghari and Narges Mohammadi to hospital. They ended a 3-day hunger strike in protest to the denial of medical care last night. They suffer from serious health conditions which have been exacerbated in prison due to authorities’ refusal of medical care to them.
(8) Amir Amirgholi a former political prisoner and a member of Gam editorial board was arrested and his whereabouts is unknown. Amir Hossein Mohammadifar and Sanaz Allahyari, the editors of “Gam”, were arrested on January 9, 2019.
(9) Mostafa Borumand sentenced to 74 lashes and six and a half years imprisonment on the charge of “disturbing public order” by being present in an unlawful protest. He was in Vakilabad prison for 11 months before his trial.
(10) An 11-year-old student died by suicide in Urmia in West Azerbaijan province. More than 7% of suicides in Iran are committed by teenagers.
(11) A 55-year-old construction worker had a fatal fall in his workplace in Tehran because of negligence in the oversight of safety conditions.
(12) Political prisoners of Urmia prison were transferred forcefully by “special guards” to a high security level ward which does not have any air conditioner, window, and kitchen.