The following is an overview of human rights violations in Iran on January 27th, 2019 based on the information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) Abbas Lesani, Azerbaijani Turkic minority rights activist, started a hunger strike in the quarantine ward of the Ardabil prison. He is also banned from visiting his family. He was sentenced to 10 months in prison on the charge of ‘propaganda against the state’.
(2) An official in the Baruj county’s judicial department announced that there have been two alternate sentences to imprisonment for two convicts in the northern Khorasan province. They are obliged to plant medicinal herbs and Galbanum in the public lands.
(3) The court announced its verdict for two news agencies, Iranian Labor News Agency (ILNA) and Pars News website. They were accused of ‘distributing falsehood and lies’. Both of the news agencies were found guilty.
(4) The court for Mohammad Javad Motamedinejad was in session today. He was arrested last June during the truck drivers’ strike. He was charged with “supporting the protesting drivers” and “disturbing the public order and businesses”.
(5) The workers of Zagros Steel Contractor company have unpaid wages left from five years ago.
(6) Isa Saharkhiz has been notified of his six-months imprisonment sentence. He is obliged to appear in the court within the next five days to begin his sentence. He was accused of “insulting the head of Judicial system”.
(7) A 33-years-old prisoner who has been accused of murder and was sentenced to death, was spared from hanging on gallows by consent of next of kin in Gonbad-e Kavus.
(8) Mohammad Behzadirad, the lawyer of Narges Mohammadi, confirmed that the prison officials have denied her transfer to hospital for her urgent medical care although the Evin prison general prosecutor has granted this permission.
(9) Meimanat Hosseini-Chavoshi, a population expert and dual Australian-Iranian citizen, who was detained on charges of “social espionage” and “collaborating” with the West, was released. Population control policies, have been a subject of debate in Iran .
(10) During the uprising in January 2018, dozens of citizens in Dehdasht in Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province were arrested. Seven of the arrested were sentenced to fines and flogging. They are accused of “disturbing the public order”.
(11) The head of Department of Environment of the Razavi Khorasan province announced that 845 poachers were arrested in the last 10 months. Similarly, two poachers were arrested, and four others are prosecuted in Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad province.
(12) A construction worker died in Ilam because of negligence in the oversight of safety conditions in the workplace. Iran ranked 102 in the workplace safety among other countries.
(13) More than six protests were organized across the country. The bankrupt contractors in Kermanshah, the customers of Kerman Khodro in Tehran, the workers of Ahvaz inter-rail and their families in Ahvaz, the shareholders of Caspian financial institution in Tehran, the investors of SekehSamen website in Tehran, and several people with law degree have held separate protests to request their demands.