The following is an
overview of human rights violations in Iran on January 13th, 2019 based on the
information compiled and verified by Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA).
(1) 11 protests were organized across the country. The workers of Haft Tappeh Sugarcane Mill, the customers of Caspian financial institution in Tehran and the customers of its branch in Mashhad, Badr Toos institution, the workers of city services in Nishabur, the workers of Ahvaz intercity railway, retired academics in Tehran, teachers in Yazd, the employees of financial intuition of Arman in Tehran, municipality employees in Abadan, the retired workers of Kian Tier in Tehran, members of theater organization in Tehran have held separate protests.
(2) 13 Baha’i citizens were exonerated in the Shiraz Revolutionary Court. Shamim Hakimi, Nader Farzandi Ardekani, Baba Salmanzadeh, Mmostafa Shaerzadeh, Aref Nikaeen, Habib Ram, Navid Jaberi, Mohammad Esmail Forouzan, Varjavand Mostaghim, Mehran Dokouhaki, Riaz Khadem, Badiollah Masoumi, and Aminollah Shammardani were accused of ‘propaganda against the state’ and their businesses have been forceful closed for a month.
(3) There were 276 reported child abuse cases in Khuzestan in the mid six months of 2018.
(4) Three university students were burnt because of a faulty stove due to dormitory’s authorities negligence in maintenance in Hormozgan province.
(5) Three Baloch citizens, Mohammad Damani, Akhtar Askani, and Morad Bakhsh Askani, who were arrested on December 15, were released on bail. They were arrested in Qasr-e Qand city after the Chabahar attack.
(6) Ali Vaseghi and Asgar Akbarzadeh, Azerbaijani Turkic minority rights activists, were summoned to the Ardabil Revolutionary Court on January 23. They were charged with ‘forming an illegal group to disrupt national security’.
(7) Ali Ghabeshi was released from Ahvaz’s Sheiban prison after he finished serving his 3-years imprisonment sentence. He was arrested in March 2016 with several others who were later executed or received long term imprisonment sentences
(8) A worker activist, Ezzat Nasri, was released from Saqqez prison after finished serving his 3-month imprisonment sentence. He was arrested on November 27th with the charge of ‘propaganda against the state’.
(9) Two residents of Ahvaz, Sami Sagouri and Abdelghader Delfi, were arrested by the security forces and transferred to an unknown place. The reason of their arrest and their whereabouts are still unknown.
(10) A Baha’i citizen, Maria Kosari, was exonerated in the appeal court in Kurdistan province. She was sentenced to one-year imprisonment and two years exile.
(11) Amir Hossein Mohammadifar and Sanaz Allahyari who were arrested by the security forces on January 9, have been transferred to the Ahvaz intelligence detention center. They were working as editors of “Gam” journal.
(12) Three prisoners were publicly executed in Yasuj today. They were charged with ‘moharebeh through ‘armed robbery’. In 2018, at least 236 people have been executed and 195 people have been sentenced to death in Iran.
(13) The workers of municipality of Marivan have at least six months of unpaid wages.
(14) Hamid Babaei, a detained student who is serving his six years imprisonment sentence, has been granted a furlough. He was a Ph.D. student in finance at Liège University in Belgium when he was summoned to the Intelligence Ministry while visiting his family in Iran in August 2013. According to Hrana, he is married and was born on 11th December 1983 in the city of Takab, in West Azerbaijan province. He was graduated in mathematics from Sharif University in 2006 and the same year to follow a master’s degree in Industrial Engineering Science was accepted in Technology University of Iran. The relatives of Babaei have said that he has not had any political activity during his stay abroad and only because of rejecting the request of Ministry of Intelligence upon cooperating with them, he has been arrested.
(15) The administrators of a popular Telegram channel were arrested by security forces in Omidiyeh. They were accused of publishing classified information.
(16) Three Baha’i-owned businesses have been forcefully kept closed in Khoramshahr, during the last two months.
(17) The chairman of city council of Yazd was sentenced to 37 lashes and paying fines on the charge of ‘distributing falsehood’. Gholamali Sefid, supported, Sepanta Niknam Zoroastrian councilor who had been suspended from his post due to his faith.
(18) Four workers died and two have been injured in the cities of Nur, Rafsanjan, and Tehran because of negligence in the oversight of safety conditions.
(19) Four prisoners were spared from hanging on gallows by the consent of next of kin in Kermanshah. They were accused of murder in 2010.
(20) A landmine explosion severely injured a 34-year old man in the city of Dehloran. Moreover, another landmine explosion injured a landmine disarming agent in Mehran city. More than 42 thousand square kilometers of he lands in the Iran ‘s western provinces contain landmines left from the Iran-Iraq war. Dehloran and Mehran cities are in Ilam province.